OET Sample Speaking (Nursing)

                                     Sample Speaking

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 * Explain the purpose of breast cancer counselling (e.g., discuss the diagnosis, explore the next steps, address emotional/psychological concerns etc.). Find out how the patient feels.

* Explain early-stage breast cancer(e,g., abnormal cell growth, non-spreading, highly treatable etc,). Reassure the patient (eg, early detection, high success rates, favourable long -term outcome etc).

* Discuss possible treatment options (surgery, chemotherapy, radiography, hormone therapy etc). Explain treatment may involve one or a combination of these approaches.

* Advise the patient about the possible side-effects of treatment (e,g, nausea, hair-loss, skin changes, menopausal  symptoms etc). Outline supportive care measures (antiemetics, pain management, physiotherapy, psychological support etc.) . Find out if the patient has a reliable support system at home,

* Discuss post-treatment support (eg. availability of breast care nurses, support groups, psychological counselling etc.) Give information about follow-up care (eg. regular clinic reviews, imaging surveillance, GP involvement, etc)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Interlocutor: Thank you. Your preparation time is over and you can start speaking. I will let you know when it's five minutes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Candidate: Good evening,  I'm David your nurse in this clinic.

Interlocutor: Hi, Good evening , nurse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Explain the purpose of breast cancer counselling (e.g., discuss the diagnosis, explore the next steps, address emotional/psychological concerns etc.). Find out how the patient feels.

Candidate: (Nurse) We are going to sit together for some time, talking about  your disease condition. I understand that you are aware of the diagnosis  Obviously, you may have some doubts and and a few questions regarding the diagnosis, the next steps to be taken, and address the emotional or psychological concerns and  provide you useful information. Is that OK for you?

Patient: O, That's excellent.

Nurse: In the meantime, how can I address you?

Pt: Well, you can call me Lisa.

Nurse: Thank you Lisa, and may I ask you a personal question?

Pt (Lisa): Carry on Nurse.

Nurse: How old are you, Lisa?

Lisa: I'm 48 years.

Nurse: Thank you, Lisa. Now, could you please tell me how much do you do you know about your condition 

Lisa: Well, Nurse, I was totally frightened and upset when the doctor told me that I am diagnose with cancer. Really I'm terrified  what cancer means to life and if it is going to spread everywhere in the body. Moreover, I really didn't understand what this early stage means to my body.

Nurse: Well, Lisa, I understand well, how terrifying the word 'cancer' sounds, but I will explain what early stage actually means.

* Explain early-stage breast cancer(e,g., abnormal cell growth, non-spreading, highly treatable etc,). Reassure the patient (eg, early detection, high success rates, favourable long -term outcome etc).


It simply refers to localized abnormal cell growth. That is strictly contained within the breast tissues. Most importantly, it is non-spreading , which means, these localized abnormal growth have not travelled to the other parts of the body.

You are lucky Lisa, that the condition was diagnosed early. Now it is considered highly treatable. I want to assure that the early stage detection has very high success rate. Patients diagnosed at the early stage generally go on to live full healthy lives.

Our entire medical team is going to walk with you every single step of the way to ensure you get through this safely.

Lisa: Well, that actually brings a lot of relief to my heart.  Now, I am  worried what comes next. What kind of treatment will I have to go through to get rid of this?  

* Discuss possible treatment options (surgery, chemotherapy, radiography, hormone therapy etc). Explain treatment may involve one or a combination of these approaches.

Nurse: That's a good question.  Thanks to the modern medicine, there are several treatment options available currently. We can consider each option to taget the condition. 

For instance, surgery may be used to to remove the localized affected tissue, while treatment options like chemotherapy and radiotherapy work to eliminate the abnormal cells using specialized medications. Additionally, hormone therapy can also be used if your specific type responds to natural body hormone. This prevent further spread of the abnormal cells. Your treat plan might not rely on just single method. Instead, your medical team may recommend a combination of these approaches working together to achieve absolute outcome. 

Throughout these processes, every decision is carefully made and carried out as our top priority

Now, how are you feeling about the different treatment options?

Lisa: Well, it sounds promising and I'm relieved to hear it.

* Discuss post-treatment support (eg. availability of breast care nurses, support groups, psychological counselling etc.) Give information about follow-up care (eg. regular clinic reviews, imaging surveillance, GP involvement, etc)












 




















  


:



   ?
Lisa: 

 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IELTS Writing task 2- ESSAY WEEK

Vocabulary for this Week - 2

IELTS Task 2 , PROBLEMS and SOLUTIONS