Speaking Types of Questions


Types of General Questions


1. Do you ......... ?

    e.g., Do you watch TV?

Grammar

Do not use: 

     * Used to ( reference to past time)

     * Would like to/Like to ( reference to future time)

     * Will ( Reference to the future)

     * - ing ( temporary state)

e.g., 

Qtn: Do you read newspaper?

Ans: Yes, I would like to read newspaper - X (Wrong)

         Yes, I used to read newspaper - X (Wrong)

         Yes, I will read newspaper - X (Wrong)

Qtn: Are you student or do you work?

Ans: I'm working as a nurse/ teacher (wrong)

         I'm a nurse/teacher by profession and I have two years                   experience in Apollo Hospital. (right)




The right way of answering:

Well, Yes. I read newspaper daily and my favourite one is the                 Hindu. It helps me know what's happening around me               and indirectly helps me to improve my proficiency in                     English.

Or

No, I don't read newspapers these days. Since I'm Preparing for          IELTS, I find hardly any time to read newspaper in the                  morning. However, I read the Hindu online and it helps me          to update my knowledge in the current affairs. 

Note: Do not answer 'do' questions with a 'do' in the answer,

 e.g., Qtn:  'Do you watch TV'?

Ans: Yes. I do watch TV. (It's impolite to answer so)


2. How often do you......?

    e.g., How often do you watch TV?

Vocabulary for "How often do you...?

    * Several times a day  * daily  * several times a week/month/

    * monthly * once or twice in a year * rarely, *seldom * once in      a blue moon


3. Did you .......... when you were a child?

    e.g., Did you watch TV when you were a child?

Grammar: 

Did implies past time. So be careful of using the past form of the verb in the answer, too.

e.g., 

Qtn: Did you use a mobile phone when you were a child?

Ans: Well, Yes. I used a mobile phone when I was a child                         although I didn't own one. When my teacher or friends                 called me, my mother handed her phone over to me.

or

         No, I didn't use a phone when I was a child because mobile           phones were not that popular in those days.


4. Have you ever........ ?

    e.g., Have you ever watched a TV when you were a child?

Grammar

"Have you" (means 'at anytime') type of questions require you to use the 'have' + participle form in the answer, too

Qtn: Have you ever used a mobile phone when you were a child?

Ans:  Well, I haven't used a mobile phone when I was a child                  because They weren't popular on those days.  However,                  whenever my friends or relatives called me, my mother                  used to hand over her phone to me.


5. What's your favourite ..... ?

    e.g., What's your favourite TV channel/program?

Qtn: What's your favourite channel?

Ans: Well, my favourite channel is 'Safari' because it's both                   educative and entertaining. Whenever time permits I watch           'Animal Kingdom' which is indeed absolutely hilarious. 

6. What's better, ....... or ........ ?

    e.g., What's better watching TV or reading newspapers?

e.g., 

Qtn: What's better, paying by card or by cash?

Ans: Well, that depends. On the one hand, if I buy anything for             a small amount, for example, a bar of chocolate, I  always             prefer paying by cash because it's more convenient for me.          On the other hand, if it's a big amount, for example, for a              mobile phone, I pay by  card because I need not carry large          sums with me. 

Grammar

Note the following verbs:  prefer, like. love & enjoy.

They always take '-ing' with the complement .

e.g., 

        *  I prefer to watch TV (Wrong) X ; Say: I prefer watching               TV  (Right)

         * I Enjoy to eat ice cream (Wrong) X; Say: I enjoy eating                  ice cream. 

          * I love to play cricket (Wrong) X; say: I love playing                       cricket (right).

          * I like to read poems (Wrong) X; Say: I like reading                         poems (right) 


7. How has........ changed over the time?

    e.g., How has watching TV changed over the time?

Ans: 


The best way to approach these types of questions: 

       Answer using three points: a) What it was early, b) how it             has changed, c) what it is now.


Qtn: How has your hometown changed over time?

Ans: (a)Well, during my grandparents' time/during my parents'          time/ 20 years ago/three decades ago Kollam was a sleepy              little town. (b) However, the city changed dramatically. (c)            Now, Kollam is a metro city with all modern facilities such           as top class educational institutes, big big roads and bridges         and so on. 


8. How has technology helped...... ?

    e.g., How has technology helped watching TV?

Ans: Well, it's an interesting question. I believe that technology             has made TV more accessible and convenient. For instance,           now, you can watch TV on different devices such as smart             TVs, laptop, tabs, or smart phones. Moreover, you can                   stream videos online from various platforms such as                       Netflix,  Amazon or You Tube.

9. Will you use ........ (more or less) in the future?

    e.g., Will you watch more or less TV in the future?

Ans: Well, I wonder if I can predict, because it's a matter of the             future. However, I guess, I'm not going to leave it for good;           I don't know.


10. How/what  do the people of your country ...... ?

      e.g., What type of programs in TV the people of your country        watch?

Ans: Well, it depends on the people. For example, children are              usually fond of cartoons and elderly people like religious or          devotional type of programs. Housewives, for instance are            interested in culinary shows.  


11. If you could ..... what would you..... ?

     (Hypothetical question. Use the structure: " ..would....could)

      e.g., If you could change your name, what name would you            take?

Ans: Honestly speaking, I love my name and have no idea of                    changing it; however, if I could change it , I would take .......          (David/Lisa) as my name.

































































                                                          





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IELTS Writing task 2- ESSAY WEEK

IELTS CUE CARDS of 2023